Workout Wednesday: Glutes!
Hey hey happy humpday! Except I bring you the donkey. Not the camel.
I posed a workout Wednesday Question on Facebook yesterday and the overwhelming response on my personal page was: GLUTES! Everyone wants to build a better tush. So I’ve fused two exercises together to work both the gluteus maximus, minimus and medius. And it’s all done without one single squat. You’re welcome. I have tons of other glute exercises (there’s one here I blogged about in January — single leg deadlift) I could share but, I’m currently in the process of building my online library. There will be tons of golden fitness nuggets there.
Equipment required: none. Of course a pink exercise mat helps, naturally. Like the one shown in the photos.
Exercise: Donkey kick + whip
- Primary: glutes, hamstrings
- Secondary: shoulders, adductors/abductors, core
- Engage your core muscles so that your spine is in a neutral position. This is important!
- Keeping your core tight, bring your knee in slightly then, slowly raise your right leg by hinging at the hip to bring it behind you. Keep the leg bent about 90 degrees.
4. Squeeze the glutes at the top of the movement and hold for a second or two.
*To alternate kick and whip simply extend your leg behind you after the kick and swing your leg to the side with sole of foot facing out and flat. Return to original position and repeat.
Add to lower body workout days or stability and core sets. Aim to perform body weight exercises at least twice weekly.
Training for a marathon: aim to include this exercise at least 1-2x a week. It can be tough to juggle higher mileage and strength sessions. I get it. But, strong glutes will not only look good but also help you remain injury free. A strong booty supports your running legs.
- Don’t let hips sag or shift. Hips need to stay aligned square to the floor.
- Pause at the top of the kick and squeeze the glutes or add a pulse.
- Keep your back in neutral position, it’s important not to let your back arch when you kick back. Contract abdominal muscles to prevent this.
Runners! Need more power? Get your rear in gear with THIS exercise. Kick and whip it. 😉Click To Tweet
Let me know if you’ve tried this exercise! I realize my #WorkoutWednesdays have been few and far in-between but I promise I’m working daily. I’m also busy building my entire workout library here with new workouts and PDFs to be uploaded soon. If all goes well it should be “officially launched” by 2018. I’ve got a lot on my plate currently so we will just see how it progresses. Also, any recommendations on an affordable camera? Trying to make these videos via iPhone is about ridiculous…I feel like I’m not looking professional at all. YouTube still is not my forte y’all! 😉 So you get photos! We all have our thing I guess…My primary goal with making any video is to help runners (and ladies of all abilities) find at-home solutions for fitness. I want to bring you valuable and useful info. Especially if it means keeping you running longer and injury free! My goal has never been to be a brilliant online marketer. Never will happen. But, I do hope to have a positive influence on my little corner of the world. 🙂
Have you tried the donkey whip and/or kick? Are you good at keeping a solid strength training regime? Are you good at creating videos?
10 May 2017 / runpinkjess / 0