Killer Plank Combo All Runners NEED + #TeamBoy or #TeamGirl?!
Over on the good ‘ol Facebook page Tuesday I teased everyone about a great core workout…then I didn’t deliver on Wednesday. I’m blaming the baby. Pregnancy brain and body is a very real thing y’all! Ha! But, here I am my lovelies.
Killer Plank Combo
They say planks are like the best thing ever. Problem is, I.GET.BORED. in a plank position. Same thing with yoga. My body needs to be moving or my mind wonders. Plus, I’m all about working multiple muscle groups at one time to save T-I-M-E. If that kinda sounds like you, you just may fall in
love– hate relationship with this brilliant move!
Muscles targeted: everything. Okay, seriously: transversus abdominis, hips, gluteus medius, minimus
Secondary: shoulders, gluteus max, quads, hamstrings
This killer plank combo is perfect for runners. Improve core strength, increase hip mobility and glute power.
- Start in full plank position with shoulders above wrists, core engaged, neck and spine long.
- Bring knee to chest, then press heel back.
- Swing knee to outside elbow, swing back.
- With flexed foot, leg extended, swing leg out to side and swing back to starting position.
That’s one rep! Repeat 8-12 times each side for 2-3 sets. I would suggest to add this baby post run 2-3x a week. Or throw it in post workout for a good burn.
To modify: place one knee on ground while other leg works.
To challenge: add a push-up during the knee to elbow phase (turns into a “spiderman push-up”)
Please forgive the low-grade YouTube video. One of these days I’m going to invest in an actual camera and figure out lighting! The trusty iPhone is slowly burning out. But, you CAN trust the quality of the work and trainer behind the poor lighting!
Onward to thinking out loud…
- I forgot
was too tired and lazyto post my bump update this past Monday (seriously?! blogger failure city over here y’all!) Baby is moving and grooving just fine! We find out the gender NEXT WEDNESDAY!!! Super excited about this because I’ll be nearly half-way through pregnancy and will (hopefully..if baby cooperates!) find out if I can start buying all.the.pink.stuff or if we are gearing up for a sweet baby boy. Boys are awesome! I love my son to pieces but I’m secretly #teamgirl for this one…shhh. I was able to hit 40 blissfulmiles last week. Maybe blissful? Some were horrendous. I won’t lie. But, I def felt like I was on the upswing! Energy levels are a bit higher but I really need to watch myself because I tend to burn through that energy oil way too quickly and then I feel like I can’t live the following day. Biggest struggles with running while pregnant I am finding to be: unable to catch my breathe at times, the urge to pee is ridiculous and my heart rate likes to spike. Paces have slowed down in the 8:40-9:30 range. My ‘easy’ used to be 8:10-9:10. I’ve cut back on ‘workouts’. I only run effort based 60/60s and no set repeats now. I did run 200-400 meter repeats in the first trimester some. But, I just don’t enjoy the pressure. My goal is a healthy baby, momma and legs that remember how to operate.
- Thinking out loud about business…I’m working on building more of an online approach to training that way I can enjoy more time at home when baby arrives! I currently have been working one-on-one in-home and while I enjoy the work so very much it also is starting to exhaust me. I’ve been slowly adding exercises to my online library and will soon have the membership option up and running 100%! This will be a space for my online (and in-home clients as well if they opt for the additional service!) clients to check out exercises, runner’s remedies, workout log PDFs, calendars and training plans. To get people excited I created a FREE basic training log complete with a full body workout. Sign up HERE * to receive the workout logs!
- Thinking out loud about being an adult…My boy kid has officially started soccer camp! I’m that mom. I’m the yoga pants, hair pulled back,
lattetemporarily decaf (ugh, shoot me now) drinking soccer mom to a T. I honestly never thought I would grow up to be a soccer mom…and I’m kinda loving it! Although I REFUSE to sport a minivan. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nothing against anyone who drives a minivan I just won’t do it. Don’t ask me why. It’s a long story I’m not sure my husband even knows about…As soon as the kid has his ‘official’ soccer gear on I’ll share his lovely face. 🙂
Talk to me! What’s on your mind today?
Are you #TeamGirl or #TeamBoy? Any guesses what we are having?
How many miles are you getting in this summer?
Are you a soccer mom?
Until next pregnancy burst of energy…
*I never send out spam. In fact, it’s honestly just yours truly typing out the e-mails whenever I have something useful, fun and or inspirational to chat about or give away. 🙂
Linking up with Amanda from Running With Spoons today! Click below and check out all the other fun posts!
3 Aug 2017 / runpinkjess / 5
The words “I am” are potent words; be careful what you hitch them to. The thing you’re claiming has a way of reaching back and claiming you. – A. L. Kitselman
Connect on the Run
Tweets on the RunMy Tweets
Follow My Runs on Strava
LIMITED TIME ONLY!
TEAM Beautifully Fit
“beautifully fit: inside & out.”